Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Post #20 - I'm Coming Out

Hey everyone, I know it's been a long time since I've actually posted anything, and for that I truly do apologize. Summer just kept getting busier and busier, what with classes, part time job, and everything else that went on during those hot months. Phew! But I'm glad to be back at UCONN. I've missed it so much.
So, there was only one point to this post, and by reading the title, and by knowing me in real life, you've probably already guessed what I'm about to say. I've been wanting to write this down for a while now, get the word out and everything, you know? I'm finding this post really easy, and yet really hard to make out. Like that makes any sense, haha. OK, here's the big news:

I'm gay.

There, I said it! That felt good. You know how you feel when a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders, and you're finding you can breathe easier, and it's not as hard to take your next step? That's how I'm feeling right now! It's an amazing feeling, finally having come to terms with my sexuality.
So, I'm not expecting any of you to be like "Oh my God, I would have never of guessed." No, I'm expecting most of you to have at least wondered about it, guessed, or simply assumed. I never was the most masculine guy out there.
Now that I'm out, I know my life has gotten a lot harder. It's not going to be as easy for me to be accepted with the general public, and believe me, I've already met a few homophobes that have made my life difficult. Which sucks, and is something I'm going to have to accept in the coming years. Hopefully, the general population will get over it's fear of gays. We're just like the rest of you, only we play for a different team. So what if we don't like boobs, vaginas , and all that. Don't you think in this day and age, things that aren't mainstream can't become accepted? There has to be a million examples  all over the place.
I'm also going to have to learn some of the things I can't do anymore, like give blood, join the military, or get married (but that's why I have Canada, Our true north, strong and FREE, where I can be whoever I want). As for America....with liberty and justice for all...I'm starting to believe that's not true. I mean really, this isn't even a question. Do we really have equality in the US? Not to be hating, because I really like my life here in the States, but when you claim everyone is equal, can you at leat be trying to make it that way?
It's like a giant blindfold has been put over people, and they're being lead to where they think is right, but it's not. At least some people have the courage to take off their blindfolds and say "stop, this isn't right." I have to applaud those people, I really do. Having the courage so stand up for what you believe in, when a huge crows is shooting you down for who you chose to love takes a lot of guts. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that as well, and I'm looking forward to the experience (which will hopefully come in the near future). I cannot wait to raise my voice and defend this way of life that I have chosen for myself.

That's all for now, and I'm really glad I got that down. Thanks to all my friends (at least those I've told at this point) for their support. It's friends like you that have made this so much easier for me to live through this transition period of mine. I love you all for it.

dan
a new gay man


Mood: Exilierated - At this point, how couldn't I be?
Music: Glee - The first episode of season 2 aired yesterday. Duh
Location: Rainbow Center - Makes it easier for me. Everyone's so accepting here, and it beats being in my room.

1 comment:

  1. If there was a like button I would click it. If there was a love button I would click it. If there was an adore button I would click it. Coming out is a huge step and one that you seem to have thought through really well. Congrats! Proud of you =D

    ReplyDelete